eBook conversion can be simple and easy. Read on to find out how to prepare your book for eBook Conversion.
If you are keen on selling your eBook online, you will first need to convert your document into a format that can be read by the popular eReaders available in the market. At present, there are two main formats used in the industry, .mobi, which is used by Kindle and ePub, which works with almost any type of eReader.
Here is how you can prepare your manuscript for ebook conversion:
1. Proof read the book: Get a professional proof reader to thoroughly proof read your book for grammar, syntax and spelling. Taking the time to go through the manuscript before eBook conversion is very important, as it a time consuming and expensive to make changes to an eBook once it has been converted to ePub or .mobi. Proof reading the book can avoid typos and other errors.
2. Check for consistency: See to it that your eBook follows a consistent method for line formatting. Paragraphs too have to be consistent. Your team can utilize tabs or any program’s alignment and paragraph functions. Ensure that you do not use the Space Bar to format individual lines or paragraphs in your eBook.
3. Include details in the first two pages: Do you wish to include the date of publication, ISBN number, the publisher’s name and address, copyright information or any other collaborative credits? If yes, add these details to the first two pages of your book before the eBook conversion process starts.
4. Use the right font: Make sure that the text within your book uses a standard font that is widely accepted for eBooks, such as, Courier New or Times New Roman. Steer clear of very small or large font sizes. For most eBook readers, an ideal size is 12pt for the font size of the body text and 14 to 18pt font size for the titles of chapters. Some special symbols may not be able to convert properly into ePub, that is why it is best to use a standard font for any text or symbol that your book might have.
5. Extract content from sidebars / tables: If your book has any content displayed in a table or as a sidebar, be sure to extract it and list it out as ordinary text, as a table or sidebar cannot be displayed properly in the ePub format.
6. Remove unnecessary elements: When a user uses an eReader, whatever he/she isolates on their screen is called a “page”. This removes the need for indexes, headers, footers or footnotes. You can remove any such element that refers to a page number, other than the Table of Contents.
7. Resize images: Perform all image resizing outside the document. You will then have to reinsert the images before saving the file. Make sure that your images are in jpg, png or tif formats. All the images also have to have a minimum dpi of 72 and should be saved in the RGB color mode. Be sure to not wrap any text around the images. All the images should be set in-line, along with the text.
Is there any other tip that you use while preparing your book for eBook conversion? Let us know you thoughts, views and feedback in the comments box below. We love to hear from our readers!
Do you have a book that needs to be converted into ePub? If yes, we at Outsource2india can provide you with error-free and cost-effective ePub conversion services. Find out more about our ePub services.
Interested to know more?